Friday, October 2, 2026

The Invisible Shield

Ayesha Begum, a psychologist, led a group for people struggling with anger and anxiety. Among them was Sameer Khan, a sharp-witted software manager known for his fiery temper. Sameer had been sent to therapy after insulting a colleague during a meeting, leaving everyone hurt and tense. 

He always said, 

“I’m not the problem ...people just can’t handle the truth.”

Ayesha saw that Sameer’s anger was a mask. So, one day, she brought a clear sheet and gave Sameer sticky notes. “Write your thoughts during your last argument,” she said gently. Sameer scribbled:

  • “They want me to fail.”
  • “If I’m not tough, they’ll walk over me.”
  • “I have to win or die.”

Ayesha asked him to stick these on the clear sheet in front of him. Then, she invited Rehana, a quiet team member, to act like the colleague who’d doubted Sameer & asked him questions like Socrates. As Rehana spoke, Sameer looked at his notes, his “invisible shield.” 

Ayesha whispered, “Just observe, don’t react.”

Sameer paused. For the first time, he responded calmly: “I understand your point. Let’s look at the data together.” The group was stunned.

Afterwards, Sameer admitted, “I act tough because I’m scared to look weak.”

Moral:

Sometimes, anger hides our deepest fears. When we pause and look at our thoughts, we can choose kindness over aggression. True strength is in understanding, not fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Invisible Shield

Ayesha Begum, a psychologist, led a group for people struggling with anger and anxiety. Among them was Sameer Khan, a sharp-witted software ...