Friday, October 2, 2026

One Honest Question

Arjun, a 34-year-old stockbroker, looked successful from the outside. But inside, he was tired and disappointed. For years, one thought kept troubling him: “If I’m not a Senior Partner by now, I’m a failure.”

When a younger colleague got promoted, something inside Arjun broke. He smiled at the office, but every congratulations felt like a jab. Slowly, he became bitter. He blamed his boss, avoided difficult work, delayed important reports, and stopped believing in himself.

Finally, Arjun decided to meet a psychologist for counselling.

During one session, she gently asked him, “Arjun, if nobody was watching you or judging you, what would you do next?”

He became silent.

For the first time, he had no excuse.

With tears in his eyes, he said, “I would start working on the portfolio I’ve been avoiding because I’m scared I might fail.”

That one honest answer changed something.

Through counselling, Arjun slowly understood that his biggest enemy was not his colleague or his boss. It was the harsh voice inside him that kept saying, “You are not good enough.”

He started taking small steps. He opened the report he had avoided. He asked for honest feedback. He even sincerely congratulated his younger colleague.

Nothing magical happened overnight. But Arjun felt lighter.

He realised his value was not decided by a job title. Every small step forward proved he was growing.

Moral: 

Sometimes we waste our energy protecting our ego and avoiding failure. Life changes when we stop asking, “Why am I not good enough?” and start asking, “What small step can I take today?” Arjun discovered that the workable action was always available. It was just buried under the weight of his expectation that demanded a different reality from the truth

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hunger That Wasn't Real

Raghav could not sleep. He could not eat. He could not sit still. Every moment, something pulled at him: a hunger food could not fill, a thi...