One night, a young monk let anger slip through his lips, wounding his closest friend with harsh words. That sleepless night, regret pressed on his chest like a stone. At dawn, ashamed and desperate to make things right, he sought the wisdom of his master.
“Master, I apologized three times, but he is still hurt. What more should I say?”
The master handed him a beautiful tea bowl.
“Drop it.”
The monk hesitated, then let it fall. The bowl broke.
“Now apologize to it,” said the master.
The monk bowed. “I am sorry.”
“Again.”
“I am truly sorry.”
“Again.”
The monk understood. “My words cannot mend it.”
The master nodded and gave him some lacquer.
“Then stop explaining. Sit quietly and repair what your hands have broken.”
For many days, the monk tended to the fragments with trembling hands, each stroke of lacquer a silent prayer for forgiveness. When, at last, the bowl was whole again, the golden scars glimmered in the morning light—unmistakable, unhidden.
“Master, the marks remain.”
“Yes,” said the master. “Forgiveness does not make yesterday disappear. Your task is not to erase the crack. Your task is to become a person who handles bowls differently.”
The monk bowed.
The master asked:
“When ‘I am sorry’ has already been spoken, what does the next apology sound like?”
The monk remained silent.
And the master smiled.
Words fall like leaves.
The changed hand lifts the old bowl—
spring enters the crack.
No comments:
Post a Comment