For two whole years, Vani had been running on fumes. The pills her other doctors gave her? They just barely kept her from falling apart
____just enough to get through the day, to fake a smile, to pretend she was okay. “They help me function,” she said, her voice so empty it hurt to hear. “But I don’t feel like a person anymore. I feel like I’m stuck, just paused.”
Those words hung in the air between us.
As the weeks unfolded, I didn’t just ask about her symptoms. I asked about her life. And slowly, painfully, the truth began to surface
___like a body rising from deep water.
She was married to a man who broke her down, bit by bit, with words and looks that cut deep. He never hit her. He didn’t have to. He made her feel small, useless, as if she should be grateful just to be tolerated. Each morning, she’d wake in a house that felt cold and wrong, then drag herself to a job that ate up sixty hours a week, leaving her completely drained. The friends she used to laugh with? Long gone. The things that once grounded her
_____morning prayers, community, and old family traditions were lost in the chaos of just trying to survive.
And beneath it all, there was the childhood trauma she had never spoken aloud. The wounds she had carried for decades, pretending they didn’t exist.
I’ll never forget when Vani finally let herself cry. I don’t mean a few careful tears I mean the kind of sobbing that shakes your whole body, the kind that comes out when someone finally feels seen after years of hiding their pain. “I thought I was broken,” she whispered.
“I thought I was the problem.”
That was the moment we stopped treating anxiety and started treating her.
First, we focused on safety. Because you can’t start healing when you’re still being hurt. We worked out a quiet, careful plan. Vani found people who truly had her back_who reminded her she wasn’t alone. She learned that saying “No” is enough, and that taking care of yourself isn’t selfish; it’s necessary.
She reconnected with her community, with the elders and the songs and the traditions that reminded her who she was before the world told her who to be. She went to therapy, where she finally faced the ghosts of her childhood_not as a victim, but as a woman brave enough to walk back into the fire and retrieve her own soul.
She started sleeping through the night. She ate real meals. She could finally take a deep breath without feeling like she might break.
And little by little_ so slowly she didn’t even realize at first_ the panic attacks came less often. Then they got weaker. And then, one day, they just… stopped.
Three months later, Vani came back to my office, and right away I noticed_ her shoulders weren’t tight anymore. Her eyes were bright. She’d left her husband. She’d quit that exhausting job. She’d moved closer to family, started a small business, and picked up the spiritual practices that made her feel alive.
But what I remember most was what she said as she stood to leave that day.
She paused at the door, turned back, and smiled_ a real smile, the kind that reaches the eyes.
She looked at me, smiled_ a real, genuine smile_ and said, “You know, for the first time ever, I don’t feel like I’m just getting by. I feel like I’m really, actually living.”
Moral:
“He who explores the branch and forgets the roots, strays.”
We could have kept her medicated. We could have kept pruning the dying leaves while the soil below remained poisoned. But true healing demanded more. It demanded we look at the whole tree_the roots tangled in toxic relationships, the soil depleted by overwork and isolation, the branches starved of spiritual sunlight.
Vani’s anxiety was never the real problem. It was her soul screaming out for help_a bright flare in the night, hoping someone would finally see that something was deeply, painfully wrong.
The body keeps score. The soul keeps screaming. And until we listen_until we have the courage to look beneath the surface_we will only ever be treating symptoms while the roots continue to wither.
But here is the truth Vani taught me:
It’s never too late to heal. Never too late to leave. Never too late to take your life back and live as you were always meant to.
The roots can be restored. The soil can be renewed. The tree can bloom again.
But only if someone is brave enough to dig deep.
No comments:
Post a Comment