Monday, August 10, 2026

The Life She Was Supposed to Want

When Maya got the promotion, everyone celebrated.

Her father hugged her and said, “I knew you’d make us proud.”

She smiled for the photographs.

That night, she locked herself in the bathroom and cried so hard she could barely breathe.

The next week, she told her therapist, “I have everything I’m supposed to want. So why do I feel miserable?”

Her therapist asked quietly, “Who decided what you’re supposed to want?

Maya froze.

Suddenly, she could hear the voices she had carried since childhood:

Be successful.
Don’t disappoint us.
Stop complaining.
Be grateful.

For years, she had mistaken those voices for her own.

She had chosen the safe degree, the respectable career, the impressive title. Every decision looked perfect from the outside, yet each one had taken her further from herself.

Her therapist asked one final question:

“What would you choose if no one were disappointed?”

Maya’s eyes filled with tears.

“I’d leave.”

A week later, she declined the promotion and applied for the creative work she had secretly loved for years.

She was terrified.

But for the first time, the fear felt alive......not empty.

She realised she had spent her whole life trying not to disappoint others.

And almost succeeded in abandoning herself.

Moral:

Sometimes the hardest courage is not changing your life; it is discovering which parts of it were never truly yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Life She Was Supposed to Want

When Maya got the promotion, everyone celebrated. Her father hugged her and said, “I knew you’d make us proud.” She smiled for the photograp...